“For the sake of our children, how do we talk about this change with our families and friends in a way that preserves dignity and respect ?”
- To maintain a strong and positive connection to both parents and extended family members.
- The ability to feel proud of both parts of their families.
- To be shielded from bitterness, blame and adult issues.
- Protection from negative perspectives and feelings held by relatives and friends towards a parent.
What can you do?
- Take responsibility for your part in things not working and do your best to offer children a balanced perspective about the situation.
- Avoid putting children in the position of having to choose between Mom and Dad.
- When necessary set boundaries with extended family members or friends.
- Create a non-blaming story about the divorce or split to share with others that is respectful to your children.