“Although our relationship has changed, our children’s needs have not. How will we be successful parents?”
- Structure and consistency in their day-to-day lives.
- To be shielded from adult feelings, decisions and issues.
- Ability to love each parent without feeling guilty or disloyal.
- The opportunity to enjoy special occasions, accomplishment and events without being encumbered by parental tension.
What can you do?
- Identify common values, hopes and goals for children now and in the future.
- Think through what you want your future parenting relationship to look like?
- Ask yourself when your children look back on this event what will make them proud about how you handled your separation and divorce?
- When difference arise seek common ground and if necessary be willing to agree to disagree.