“How do we do this in a way that supports our children and reassures them that we are going to be okay?”
- Time to adjust to the idea that their family is changing.
- To be prepared for significant changes (i.e. a parent moving, how time is spent between households etc.)
- Consistent ongoing contact with each parent.
- An understanding of how life will change and what will stay the same.
What can you do?
- As best you can, work cooperatively to plan transitions such as separating homes.
- Avoid making sudden or rash decisions.
- Separate your needs and feelings about changes from children’s needs.
- Connect with supports outside of the family to help you gain perspective and sort through your issues regarding how life has changed.